Other names: Hearts-a-Burstin', Strawberry Bush, Brook Euonymus
|Photo by Martin LaBar at Flickr under a Creative Commons license|
| Ted Bodner|
Native to North America, but not Michigan. Both species native to North America can be distinguished from the non-native E. alatus (Winged Euonymus) by the presence of a winged stem on the latter.
Seed image here.
See identification tips and distinguishing E. americanus from other Euonymus in Mistaken Identity? Invasive Plants and their Native Look-alikes: an Identification Guide for the Mid-Atlantic (PDF) by the New York Botanical Garden.
- Species profile at USDA Plants Database
- Ladybird Johnson Wildflower Center species profile
- Duke University species profile
- Wildflowers of the Southeastern U.S. species profile
- Key to Ohio winter Euonymus (pdf)
(Numbers in photo captions are photo credits, listed in the "Photo Credits" tab at the top of the page)