Other names: Rhamnus frangula, Alder Buckthorn
Fruits and leaves look very similar to Frangula caroliniana (Carolina Buckthorn). Seeds of F. alnus distinctive.
Mean fruit diameter: 7.49 mm (n=161); mean number of seeds per fruit: 2.37 (n=94), based on samples collected at the Rouge River Bird Observatory, Dearborn, MI.
Seeds present in bird fecal samples at the Rouge River Bird Observatory, Dearborn, MI.
- Species profile at USDA Plants Database: F. alnus
- Michigan Flora online species profile
- University of Wisconsin-Steven Point Robert. W. Freckmann herbarium species profile
- Center for Invasive Species and Ecosystem Health, Invasive.org species profile
- ID of buckthorns (PDF; common and glossy) -- Rouge River Bird Observatory
- Buckthorn does not cause diarrhea in birds - Rouge River Bird Observatory
- US Forest Service profile
- University of Wisconsin-Green Bay Cofrin Center for Biodiversity Herbarium species profile
* Listed as invasive in natural areas by the Invasive Plant Atlas of the United States.
(Numbers in photo captions are photo credits, listed in the "Photo Credits" tab at the top of the page)